As I continue exploring in the kitchen, I cooked my third recipe, a Filipino favorite delicacy: Cassava Cake. Cassava is a long tuberous starchy root crop which is used in different cuisines in many countries. It has white flesh when raw and turns yellow in color and slightly translucent when cooked. A little sweet in flavor, soft and chewy.
My brother gave me more than a kilo of cassava and I wonder what to do with it. So I decided to make a delicious delicacy rather than just boiling it which is a little boring to consume.
Here are the ingredients I used in making Cassava Cake:
5 cups of grated cassava (about 1 kg. of raw cassava)
2 cups of coconut cream
1 ½ granulated sugar
1 ¼ cup condensed milk (1 can of 300 ml)
1 ½ cup evaporated milk (1 can of 370 ml)
3 beaten eggs
3 tbsp. melted butter
¾ cup coconut cream (or evaporated milk)
¾ cup condensed milk
2 egg yolks
- Grate the peel off raw cassava. Lightly press the grated cassava to remove some juices, but do not press too much. Discard the juices.
- Put the grated cassava in a mixing bowl. Add the coconut cream, condensed milk, evaporated milk, sugar, beaten eggs and melted butter.
- Mix very well or until all the ingredients are blended well.
- Brush the baking pan with butter and transfer the mixture into it.
- Bake in pre-heated oven for about 45 minutes at 180 degrees C (356 degrees F).
- While baking, prepare the toppings mixture.
- Combine the coconut cream, condensed milk and egg yolks. Mix it well.
- After 45 minutes, get the cassava cake from the oven.
- Pour over the toppings mixture, onto the cassava cake and put the grated cheese all over the cake. The thicker the toppings, the better.
- Bake for another 20 minutes.
My cassava cake turns to be a bit chewy but still the softness is there. The sweet cheesy taste will satisfy someone’s with sweet tooth. It is best to enjoy with a cup of hot brewed coffee.
I really can’t believe that I can make my own version of cassava cake. My family really liked it and they even ask for more. They said that my recipe is more delicious than those bought in the bake shop. I’m glad that I got positive feedbacks and I am really inspired to cook and bake for more.